The following policies are in effect during all Capital One Arena events to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests.
Capital One Arena has implemented a strict no bag policy. Bags, backpacks and purses will not be permitted inside the Arena. Wallet-size clutches no larger than 5” x 7”, medical bags and parenting bags no larger than 14” x 14” x 6” will be permitted and subject to security screening.
If you are bringing a medical or parenting bag, please use the entrance on the corner of 6th and F Street.
Capital One Arena reserves the right to refuse items which may cause a danger or disruption to the event or to other guests, or which are in breach of building policies and/or the list of prohibited items.
Capital One Arena will not check or store any of the listed prohibited items.
For Capitals, Wizards, and Georgetown games: Guests are allowed to bring in point and shoot and SLR type cameras. Video recording is strictly prohibited and video cameras, camcorders, Go Pros and Contour cameras are not allowed. Monopods, tripods and selfie sticks are also not allowed at Capital One Arena.
For concerts and other events: The camera policy for each event is determined by the event and is subject to change. Please contact Capital One Arena at 202-628-3200 ext. 0 or check the event page on the website to learn what the camera policy is for your specific event. SLR type cameras, cameras with detachable lenses, professional style cameras or video cameras are not allowed for concerts. Video recording is strictly prohibited and video cameras, camcorders, Go Pros and Contour cameras are not allowed. Monopods, tripods and selfie sticks are also NOT allowed at Capital One Arena.
Code of Conduct
Capital One Arena Management is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all guests. To help ensure this, guests who choose not to adhere to this Code of Conduct will be subject to ejection without a refund.
Guests are encouraged to report any inappropriate behavior to the nearest Guest Relations team member or text keyword "MSE" to 69050 with the issue and location.
- Guests shall be respectful to players, team staff, officials, Capital One Arena staff and other attendees
- Guests shall not interfere with the event, performers, or athletes in any way
- Guests shall sit only in their ticketed seat location and must show their ticket upon request
- Guests who consume alcoholic beverages shall do so in a responsible manner
- Obscene or indecent messages on signs or clothing will not be permitted
- Capital One Arena is a non-smoking facility and guests may only smoke in designated smoking areas
- Guests shall refrain from using foul/offensive language, obscene gestures and engaging in behavior detrimental to the experience of other guests
- Guests who engage in disruptive behavior including fighting, throwing objects, or attempting to enter the playing surface, stage or restricted areas will be ejected from the building
- Guests may not block aisles, stand on seats or other building structures
- Guests shall comply with requests from arena staff regarding arena operations and emergency procedures
All guests must always maintain reasonable and appropriate behavior during their visit. Guests who violate building policies, display disorderly conduct and/or create disturbances may be ejected from the event, barred from the building or arrested. Guests who are ejected, barred or arrested will not receive a refund or compensation for their loss.
- Disturbances include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Standing on seats, chairs, armrest, and railings.
- Fighting or challenging others to fight.
- Exposing private body parts.
- Interfering or delaying an event.
- Violation of Capital One Arena event policies.
- Violation of local and federal laws and statues.
- Attempting to enter the field of play, court, rink, field, stage, backstage or restricted areas without proper permission/credentials.
- Throwing, discharging, and launching any substance or object. Hockey hat tricks do not apply.
- Intentionally disturbing another guest/employee with loud and unreasonable noise.
- Using profanity and/or other offensive words to provoke others.
- Taunting or using offensive language against the players, referees, employees or performers.
- All guests are subject to search prior to entry.
- All vehicles parking within Capital One Arena's Lexus Parking Garage are subject to search prior to entry.
- Staff will visually conduct, bag and metal detection inspections to detect prohibited items to ensure the safety of all guests.
- Any guest who declines to be searched or is in possession of prohibited items may be denied entry.
Capital One Arena also recommends the following tips to help expedite entry into the venue:
- Guests are encouraged to arrive early.
- Open jackets and remove hats before walking through the metal detector.
- Remove the following items from pockets – metal objects, keys, phones, electronic devices, wallets, and cameras and be ready to place them in the basket provided.
Food and Beverage Policy
Fans and patrons are not allowed to bring in outside food and beverages (including alcoholic beverages) for any games, concerts or events. Guests may bring in one empty plastic water bottle per person for their personal use. Guests with special dietary restrictions may contact the Guest Relations department via email or by calling 202–661–5149 prior to their visit for assistance. View more information regarding our concessions options.
Capital One Arena Management reserves the right to refuse items deemed unsafe, inappropriate or that violate other arena policies. Prohibited items cannot be checked or stored inside the arena. Prohibited items lists may be modified in connection with specific events.
Prohibited items at Capital One Arena include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Weapons (guns, knives, chains, spikes, projectiles, tasers, mace/pepper spray)
- Cans, bottles, or coolers
- Outside food and beverages
- Metal or glass reusable water bottles
- Illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Gambling paraphernalia
- Laser pointers/pens
- Monopods, tripods, selfie sticks or poles
- Noisemakers such as air horns, sirens, kazoos, whistles
- Animals (except service animals)
- Wrapped gifts or packages
- Video and audio recording devices (except cell phones and small point & shoot cameras)
- Non-collapsible umbrellas
- Any other item deemed inappropriate by Capital One Arena Management
*Please see separate Food & Beverage Policy.
Signs, Banners, Posters, and Flag Policy
Unless otherwise specified by teams or event management, guests are welcome to bring small signs, posters and flags for events. Banners are not allowed. The following guidelines apply:
- Item must be related to the event.
- Item may not be attached to a stick/pole.
- Item may not obstruct any sponsor/building signage.
- Item may not be attached, hung, taped and draped over any part of the building.
- Item may not be commercial in nature.
- Item may not contain or display obscene/offensive language and/or pictures, as determined by Capital One Arena Management.
- Item may not be constructed or displayed in a manner that may obstruct the view of other guests, interrupt the experience of other guests, or create a safety hazard.
- Signs must be constructed of paper, fabric or poster board materials.
- Signs may not be constructed of or contain plastic, wood, metal, glass or any material that can be used as a weapon.
- Item may not be commercial or political in nature.
Capital One Arena is a smoke–free and vape-free facility. Smoking is permitted 25 feet from our building. Please note exit/re-entry is allowed once the event begins at our F St. entrance only.
When on-site, please see one of our Capital One Arena team members or visit one of our Guest Services locations. For additional questions, please visit our Contact Us page.